[svlug] Virus FUD

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rnd-consulting.com
Mon May 8 08:46:16 PDT 2000

Thus spake Walter Reed (walt at hubinternet.com):

> On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 09:33:11AM -0700, dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:
> <lots snipped>
> > Most of these email viruses use Outlook because it's popular, but more
> > importantly the Outlook users tend to keep track of all their contacts
> > in a common address book.
>
> Hmm. I would be more inclined to think that most email viruses target Outlook
> because the default permissions are, have always been, probably always will
> be, Wide Open. Microsoft's security policy has always been to allow everything
> by default, and to force users to jump through hoops to lock things down to
> a sane level.
>
> So what has the latest figure been on how much this particular virus has cost
> everyone so far, $10B?? Sure makes the cost of support per desktop a little
> higher doesn't it? If it causes even 5% of Win users to rethink their
> corporate standards, it would be a "good thing."

Besides,  I use mutt.  My email has all my aliases in one file.  Just like
most other unix emailers.  Funny, no mutt email virus's...

TrendMicro has a virus tracking center.  The day it hit, the Love virus had
1.2Million hits by noon.  The next highest was 120 thousand in 30 days.  I
guess microsoft is right.  It makes things easier.

The current count for hits on that world wide is 5.45 million hits for
the Love virus.  The second highest is 166thousand in 30 days.

Alot of LARGE companies shut down email from outside sources all together
to prevent it coming in.  We just put in a sendmail filter, and stopped
the IMAP server, ran a perl script to check all the imap folders to
look for the virus, and then restarted the filter.  Nice and simple
on our side.  A friend with exchange spent the whole day cussing and
rebuilding.  Just warns the Unix parts of my heart.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                |  Microso~1 :
                                \_       that important!
DISCLAIMER:
FYI: