[svlug] Virus FUD

Walter Reed walt at hubinternet.com
Mon May 8 08:26:50 PDT 2000

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 09:33:11AM -0700, dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com wrote:
<lots snipped>
> Most of these email viruses use Outlook because it's popular, but more
> importantly the Outlook users tend to keep track of all their contacts
> in a common address book.

Hmm. I would be more inclined to think that most email viruses target Outlook
because the default permissions are, have always been, probably always will
be, Wide Open. Microsoft's security policy has always been to allow everything
by default, and to force users to jump through hoops to lock things down to
a sane level.

So what has the latest figure been on how much this particular virus has cost
everyone so far, $10B?? Sure makes the cost of support per desktop a little
higher doesn't it? If it causes even 5% of Win users to rethink their
corporate standards, it would be a "good thing."