[svlug] Horribly slow connections to a RH 6.2 box?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 8 07:16:14 PDT 2000

I'll take a guess -- you don't have name resolution set up right on the
Linux hosts, so tcpd is delayed by a reverse lookup that never happens.

To find out if this is the cause, check /etc/hosts on the Linux host; make
sure it has an entry for the IP address of the host you are telneting from.
Also make sure /etc/nsswitch.conf has the line "hosts: files dns" in it.

If adding such an entry ends the delay, my guess was right.

If this is the problem, you may want to end up with a better fix than an
extended hosts file ... you may want to run a DNS server for the LAN, for
example. But this is the quick way to check whether the problem is with name
resolution.

Only a guess, though ....

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com