[svlug] Re: [svlug]how to copy a bunch of "." files?

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Sun May 7 18:30:41 PDT 2000

> line limit (which was pretty small on legacy Unix systems), you could
> just do something like
>
>   grep pattern /dev/null `find ... -print`

That's essentially how I do things. I find the backquotes cleaner than
the find(1) syntax -- it's not that obvious, and you got to make sure
that the {} is in the right place, quoted, so that it doesn't get eaten
by the shell, and so on. Nevertheless, though, the command line limit will
sooner or later be too small, but that really depends on what you're doing.

David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.