[svlug] Re: [svlug]how to copy a bunch of "." files?

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Sun May 7 09:37:46 PDT 2000

> If the directory contains files named 1 through 10, this causes the
> following programs to run, in sequence:

[snipped]

OH. I get it now. The light turns on. :)

> You decide which is going to be faster. Calling grep 10 times, or once.

Obviously the latter.

> You can't count on that, xargs can only pass so many arguments to a
> command at once, so if you were grepping 1001 files and it decided to
> only pass in 1000 arguments at a time, it would run:

I get it now. Thanks. Is it arbitrary how many filenames get passed
to xargs at a time, then?

David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.