[svlug] Re: [svlug]how to copy a bunch of "." files?

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Sat May 6 20:49:24 PDT 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:
> POSIX does not in fact guarantee that the order of filenames in a
> directory file is sorted in any fashion other than random (a few
> tests with Linux suggests it doesn't change this).  Further, find(1)
> makes no claims about sorting the contents of a directory in
> recursing thru it.
>
> Unless you explicitly put a sort in there, via ls, sort, whatever,
> you can not rely on order of processing of directories.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can point to numerous other fine points I glossed
over in my message (for example, xargs does not by default stop at 1000
arguments or any particular number, but at a given command line length).

There's a point in glosssing over the non-relevant details sometimes,
when you're just rying to explain something.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -li361M61AAM61AGMAM61AG261_G326G026M03_MG
@t=('_'x8,GAG,MAMAM,__);for(split$x=6,$^I){s/\d/$t[$&]/eg