[svlug] Virus FUD

Rick Kwan kenobi at coruscant.lightsaber.com
Sat May 6 03:34:11 PDT 2000

As a first pass, I'm going to suggest what other people have
suggested to me.  Rick Moen's techno-rant at
    http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus
is a well-written explanation for the technical reader of why Linux
is less virus-prone.

But I wouldn't throw it at someone who is not clued in on the
difference between supervisor and user modes.  I'm afraid it
will pass right by them.  On top of that, Rick's article has a
considerable amount of UNIX-ese or GNU-ese in it, which will lose
a lot of non-technical folks.

I feel like we need to reach company CIOs and CEOs.  These people
manage and delegate things of which they have only rudimentary
understanding.  (Sounds dangerous, eh?)  But when things are
critical to their companies, and they feel they must rapidly educate
themselves under certain time pressure to make an informed decision,
they will do so.  In the last couple of days, these people have
lots an incredible amount of company productivity.  This type of
loss makes them take notice.

Some technical author with a flair for reaching the non-technical
ought to take this on.  (Anyone want to try writing for an airline
magazine?)

--Rick Kwan, Lightsaber Computing
  rick.kwan at lightsaber.com