[svlug] Virus FUD

Kenneth Kellum kellum at mathcs.sjsu.edu
Fri May 5 17:03:27 PDT 2000

Question.  The LOVEBUG worm exploited the ability of a malicious Visual Basic
program to damage a system.

If a similar worm was written to attack a Linux system, could a malicious Perl
(say) program do the same damage to that system?

I suspect the answer is "no", but I'd like to hear from more knowledgable folks.

On Fri, 05 May 2000, Richard Jennings wrote:
> I emailed someone in our corporate headquarters the suggestion that maybe
> it's time to look at something other than Outlook as a corporate standard.
> Here was his reply:
>
> >Maybe. Maybe not. 2-3 of the natl and intl stories I read on it this morning
> >make the point that Outlook was apparently targeted primarily because it's
> >widely used. If we and most other orgs move to X, then hackers will target
> >X. there's nothing inherent in Outlook that makes it more vulnerable than
> >other systems, they point out.
>
> I think I'll spend part of the weekend gathering some data to send his
> way.:) Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Richard
> --------------------------------
>
> Richard Jennings
> Sandia National Labs
> 7011 East Ave.
> PO Box 969  MailStop 9055
> Livermore, CA  94551
> ph 925-294-2696
> Fax 925-294-2550
> Richard_Jennings at sandia.gov
Kenneth R. Kellum -- San Jose State University

Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt, and
Dance like no one is watching.