[svlug] LoveLetter reporting -- Microsoft, not computer, virus

dfox@belvdere.vip.best.com dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com
Fri May 5 17:48:31 PDT 2000

> Actually they have.  For years.  Often.  Loudly.  They also get
> ignored because, well, its Microsoft, and Microsoft are very very
> smart people, the smartest in the world even, and obviously they're

So they throw up their hands and patch something after the fact, i.e.,
putting out scads of new releases of virus protection software, or
(on the MIS side) start enacting repressive policies about what
software can be installed or run on the system. While the latter is
probably a good thing, it doesn't address the root (pun) of the
problem: the OS. I've said many times that if you want to get rid
of viruses, you get rid of DOS (and by extension, Windows). The
retort is usually something along the lines of "don't install
the software; we might get bit by a virus" -- even if that software
is Linux. :)

I watched a little bite on the news this morning where a software
firm was working on an incredibly complicated defense against the
whole email software thing -- purporting to be able to block the
emails in question, and not only that, but backtrack the steps the
virus took, and go into those systems as well, negating in some
fashion its behavior on them. It seems to me that it would be so
much more simpler just to replace the mailer in the first place.
But regardless, lots of people seem to like outlook.

> J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu

David E. Fox                     Census         Thanks for letting me
dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com        2000          change magnetic patterns
Be Counted: http://www.census.gov               on your hard disk.