[svlug] LoveLetter reporting -- Microsoft, not computer, virus

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 5 17:39:23 PDT 2000

Quoting dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com (dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com):

> I can't see why there can't be some sort of consumer protection
> standard for computer software (and by extension, most likely all
> copyrightable electronic media).

OH!

You must mean protection such as avoiding carrying out actions with
zero survival value, such as stupidly running suspicious executable code
you suddenly receive in the mail?  And (likewise) not using MUAs
so abysmally designed that they auto-execute such things on the user's
behalf?

Well, then, I most emphatically agree!  Let's get started inculcating
exactly that kind of protection into users' heads.  Right away!

Unless -- and, of course, this isn't the least bit likely -- you mean
something else entirely.

--
Cheers,        "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti