[svlug] LoveLetter reporting -- Microsoft, not computer, virus

kmself@ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 5 11:59:08 PDT 2000

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 11:23:23AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > But in GNU/Linux's favor are paranoia, heterogeneity, and limited
> > user-space privileges.  Paranoia means you don't assume an executable is
> > safe to be executed, and you certainly don't do anything so stupid as to
> > run the bloody thing without specifically requesting it.
>
> Hands up, everyone who has installed a third-party .rpm or .deb which
> you did not download directly from your distributor or someone you trust
> with root access on your system.

RPMs yes.  Debs, no.

Incidentally, calls again for widely disseminating how one checks
signatures and checksums on files, and how much of this is or isn't
built into packaging tools.

> Hands up, everyone who has run a 2 thousand line ./configure script
> without auditing the whole thing.

Penguin factor -- only *after* watching others do it first <g>.  I think
there's more to the Tux mascot than some of us realize.

Penguin factor is the tendency of penguins to crowd the edge of an
ice floe, but not actually entering the water until one bird does.
Leopard seals are the natural enemy/predetor, and first bird in is the
early worm, so to speak, for the seal.  If the water's clear, the rest
of the flock goes.

> > but MS Word opened the file with full macro capabilities.  GNU/Linux by
> > contrast uses magic (the first few bytes) of a file to determine its
> > type.  This can make a directory listing take a few seconds longer for a
> > particularly large directory (/usr/doc under my Debian system, with 926
> > entries), but identifies files as they truly are, not as they purport
> > to be.
>
> Er, no. /usr/doc takes forever to list because ext2 does not scale well
> to lots of files in a directory. ls uses extentions, not file magic.

Distinction between '/bin/ls' and '/bin/ls --color=auto' is rather
marked.

    /bin/ls /usr/doc:                  0.335 s
    /bin/ls --color=always /usr/doc:  11.798 s

...the first is OK.  The second takes so much longer because DIRCOLORS
requires knowing a file's type.  AFAIK it opens and reads the first few
bytes of each file.

> Ok, you can all put your hands down now.

Thanks.  Typing with my nose was getting old....