[svlug] FUD: Are Linux Users Sloppy?

Greg Herlein gherlein at quicknet.net
Thu May 4 10:38:36 PDT 2000

> > workstation install doesn't run inetd.  The default server install no
> > longer contains XFree86, which I take issue with, but I digress.  The

Personally, I like this.  I *hate* it when default server
installs toss X into the mix - especially when they then have
stupid X-based utilities that they expect you to use for various
things that they hid in obscure directories.  If I'm never going
to even plug a monitor into a box I dang sure don't need X.  And
it I do need to use a monitor, it's likely an "emergency" monitor
that is an old toss-away 15" thing that I keep for that kind of
thing... and it surely would not match any usable X
configurations.  Keep servers text only, I say... unless it's a
mixed use machine.

Of course, that's why I'm drifting away from Red Hat.  Perhaps
with this change I'll look at 6.2 more closely.

Of course, there is also the issue that they patch the normal
kernel with all sorts of gobbledygook - some of which breaks our
driver (the SIGIO patch, in particular the kill_fasync() call
getting a third parameter where the normal "standard" kernel has
only two) - and make this the default kernel, smashing other
people's attempts to be a standard part of the shipping
kernels... but I digress.  At least with open source you can go
change it (grin).

Greg

Greg Herlein                              Quicknet Technologies, Inc.
Director, Super-Secret Project		  (yes, it really is secret)
gherlein at quicknet.net                     http://www.quicknet.net