[svlug] consumer CAD?

Rick Kwan kenobi at coruscant.lightsaber.com
Thu May 4 11:19:24 PDT 2000

I finally did something yesterday that I am normally loathe to do.
I bought an application to run on my Windows 9x partition.  It was
a consumer CAD package for redesigning your house, at COSTCO,
less than US$40.  (Something put out by Better Homes and Gardens.)

I really would have liked an equivalent package for Linux.
But I haven't heard of anything.  I remember a couple of years ago
hearing debate about an MCAD package for Linux, but I believe in the
$100+ range.  I'm sure there are professional MCAD packages on Linux.
(I hope.)  I've found other interesting stuff on SourceForge which
wasn't quite this.  I would expect that with all the VRML activity
of recent years that this would be a solved problem.

What have I missed here?

--Rick Kwan, Lightsaber Computing
  rick.kwan at lightsaber.com