[svlug] FUD: Are Linux Users Sloppy?

Dan Copeland dcopeland47 at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 23:12:30 PDT 2000

--- Bill Jonas <bj at netaxs.com> wrote:
> SuSE, at least the way I installed it, doesn't even start inetd at
> boot
> time by default, so you have much fewer services running.  To spread
> little more FUD, though, I've heard that RH leaves many services
> turned
> on (not sure if this is just on a server install and not on a
> workstation install), which is unfortunate because of its popularity,
> especially with newbies.

  RedHat has changed significantly with 6.2.  IIRC, the default
workstation install doesn't run inetd.  The default server install no
longer contains XFree86, which I take issue with, but I digress.  The
point is that Red Hat seems to be tired of the 'boatload of unnecessary
services' complaint and doing something about it.  I think it's great
for the newbies (generally the ones who'd pick a stock workstation
install).

                                                        - Dan