[svlug] menus in debian

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Wed May 3 13:58:31 PDT 2000

joost witteveen wrote:

> Je 2000/05/03(3)/11:05, Joey Hess montris sian geniecon skribante:
>
> > Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >   1) how to include a menu at the top level (i.e. not in submenu), all
> > > menu definitions require section="submenu" and there is no way to have
> > > submenu empty.
> Originally, my idea was that the Debian menu package is there for
> the Debian tree, not for the rest. (And that local systadmins can
> add stuff to the rc file of the wm used locally, if they want to).
>
> But I see now it may be useful if a local systemadmin can use menu,
> as s/he only needs to know the menu entry file syntax to add an entry,
> and there may be several wm's used at one site.

  exactly, since the menu system works, there is no reason not to use it
for all menu items (and few reasons to use it). I like to try new WMs
and while I can live with different focus policies etc. I would like to
have the same main menu so that I can use the WM straight away.

> Anyway, I'll upload the fixes mentioned above before the weekend
> to unstable. (they allow 'section="/"', not 'section=""', and
> do also other things).

  thank a lot! free software at its best:-)

> > >   2) is there a way to sort the menus the way I want? I know I can sort
> > > submenus before menus, but I would like to sort some menu items
> > > exactlythe way I want.

  any comments on sorting/ordering? I don't care about most of the
menus, but the programs I plan to add to the highest level should be (=I
would like them to be) in any order I like, for example:

  xterm
  netscape
  xisp

  the only way I see it possible is to actually have a menu like:

  01 xterm
  02 netscape
  03 xisp

  did I miss something in docs?

  [I am aware that generally it does not make much sense since nobody
knows which particular entries there will be in any given menu, so it's
hard/impossible to design a method how to specify the order]

  thanks a lot

	erik