[svlug] FUD: Are Linux Users Sloppy?

Bill Jonas bj at netaxs.com
Wed May 3 22:37:10 PDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Rick Kwan wrote:

>But that's what I thought a lot of Linux distributions now offer.
>Are client installs not being exercised?  Is the lure of server
>capability too exciting?  Some of the distribution houses must have
>a handle on their customers are doing; I hope they are taking note.

Slackware (which, granted, your new Linux convert is unlikely to try)
leaves all sorts of services turned on by default.  Of course, the type
of user that's likely to use Slack would know enough to turn them off.
SuSE, at least the way I installed it, doesn't even start inetd at boot
time by default, so you have much fewer services running.  To spread a
little more FUD, though, I've heard that RH leaves many services turned
on (not sure if this is just on a server install and not on a
workstation install), which is unfortunate because of its popularity,
especially with newbies.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)

Harry Browne for President:  http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/
Visit me at                  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/