[svlug] how to ping a dead system

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon May 1 12:54:26 PDT 2000

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 11:24 AM 5/1/00 -0700, HvR wrote:
> >try $ ping -c 1 10.1.1.1
> >
> >(or any other non reachable system) and all i get is
> >the ping command just sits there and sits there and
> >sits there ...). all i can do is terminate it with ^C
> >(not really very scriptable).
>
> This EXACT same command on my (Debian potato) test system terminates in
> failure after 10 seconds. Same thing on an older Debian Slink system, and a
> remote system where I have an account (dunno what it's running). Either you
> are not waiting long enough ... waiting 10 seconds does feel like "sits
> there and sits there" to me ... or you have an odd version of ping that has
> some problem, or something else is odd about your setup. (Or, I suppose,
> something is odd about all 3 of the systems I just tried.)

  on a system where I have an account (slackware?) I get the following
result:

---------------------------------
crick:~>time ping 10.1.1.2
PING 10.1.1.2 (10.1.1.2): 56 data bytes
<<<<<<<<<<<< hit ctrl-C right here >>>>>>>>>>>>
--- 10.1.1.2 ping statistics ---
2495 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
0.010u 0.000s 41:34.32 0.0% 0+0k 0+0io 72pf+0w
crick:~>

  note the 41 minutes it was waiting...

  I would say the best option is to fork the ping, wait $TIMEOUT and if
the ping is still running, consider it failure... it can be done fairly
easily in shell script...

  or get some good ping program or some kind of network watcher (Deirdre
mentioned big brother)

	erik