[svlug] FUD: Are Linux Users Sloppy?

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Tue May 2 19:16:37 PDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000 19:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
dfox  <dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com> wrote:

> To put it in a (limited) perspective, in 1993 I had a little box
> on my desk that had not only multiuser capabilities, but even had
> password aging (shadow-password, on the early SLS-based system)
> capabilities. And the other system I was using that had similar
> capabilities was an AS/400. And the people there likely used bad
> passwords too :).

I know of whole divisions of companies where the password standard
is the 3l33t spelling of the service in question.  The sad thing is,
from a _probable_ dictionary perspective its not going to reveal
itself (eg I suspect Marc Merlin's vaunted crack setup doesn't check
that pattern for instance (Marc?)).  EQually, the problem is that
given that dictionary pattern, you're wide-open.

But then that's the problem with password patterns.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...