[svlug] McGrawHill GPL violation?

Steve M Bibayoff smb23 at csufresno.edu
Tue May 2 18:22:48 PDT 2000

On 2 May 2000, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:

> It's a very safe bet that they included the kernel!  Not to mention
> GNU emacs, GNU tar, GNU make,...

Actually, a couple of the books I looked at said what was on ther cd was
"tools". Don't know what "tools" is. Of course I would expect superior GNU
"tools", but they may have included some propritary crap. Won't know till
I either buy the book or find someone who has and actually look.

> My guess is that the license is the one they've always used for CD's
> included in books, and either nobody has bothered to give them a clue
> (unlikely) or we need a bigger clue-by-four.

Thats my guess, I just don't want to say anything till I'm sure. I'm sure
almost all book publishers have been clueless at one time.

Steve