[svlug] Re: [Officers] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue May 2 15:55:32 PDT 2000

> At 06:27 AM 5/1/00 -0700, Chris J. DiBona wrote:
> >Okay, how about this: You being a jerk to volunteers sure helps a lot.
>
> When have I been a jerk to volunteers? I said we LOOK like we're friggin
> clueless. We have, arguably, among the brightest membership base to draw
> from, but if you look at our public presentation you would never know it.
> THAT's what I was saying, Chris. Stop taking everything so damned personally.

Derek:  I came into my email near the end of a day, and half my mailbox is
        full with your tantrum.

        So far, I have made adjustments within 2 to 3 days of getting news,
        and usually same-day because I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay busy.
        In fact, way too busy to do it same-day if I don't do it while that
        pass of my mbox is still open.

        Being told that I am "friggin clueless" or in fact "friggin" anything
        has the following result --
	1. I want to tell you exactly where you can stick it, so you won't
           be "clueless" about that
        2. I am incented to give my overtaxed time to the other *4*
           organizations whose websites I'm involved in.

> >Being jerks to volunteers really drives people to work harder
> >doesn't it?
>
> If "wanting to do better" is "being a jerk", then I guess I will happily
> accept the title of "Jerk" and wish that the president of my LUG was also a
> "Jerk" so that he would be doing HIS best.

Do better, maybe.  *You* can start by being polite, *always*.  Chris was
being sarcastic.  That means he was attempting, with a sense of humor, to
tell you that it was having the opposite effect from your obvious though
petulant complaint.  If you can't tell, then you're the one who needs the
reality check:

    Pay To The Order Of: _____Derek_Balling________   $clue + good sense
    ____Play_nice_and_everyone_keeps_coding_____________________________
                                           Signed
                                           SVLUG Volunteers

> Most of the others have tired of calling it to peoples attention how bad we
> look to the world. How many times has Rick complained in the past about
> inadequacies? I won't speak for him and cannot, but I bet if you ask him,
> his answer is "aw, hell, I gave up trying". Ask Ian, and I'm sure you'd get
> an earful.

Funny you should mention that.  Ian quit because he was (1) overtaxed,
(2) underappreciated and (3) tired of dealing with certain people's pissy
complaints.

Don't generate a repeat case by being the one to set off (3) on someone's
camelback...

> I, on the other hand, hold out a lot of hope for us. Perhaps,
> from your attitude in this, I am mistaken.

Heather Stern  . | .  starshine.org * Starshine (personal account)
  star at:   --->*<---    lasfs.org * Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society
               ' | `    tuxtops.com * Laptops with Linux!