[svlug] Re: [svlug]syslogd question

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Tue May 2 16:28:24 PDT 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000 17:06:50 -0700

> Search engines for the Web archive (none provided by default):
> J. C.  Lawrence recommends UDMsearch as working well with Mailman,
> but I have to admit I haven't personally done that work, either.

Having just thwacked UdmSearch 3.0.12 into pretending occassionally
to PHPLib, you can exactly how well it works:

  http://www.kanga.nu/search/search.php3

An older version of UdmSearch can be found at

  http://www.kanga.nu/search/index.php3

The most painful lack of the older version is that it insistes on
returning matches for the archive indexes (date, author, thread).
Conversely the most pleasant addition in the 3.* series the ability
to limit searches by directory heirarchy.

What's needed now?  The ability to selectively NOT index specific
parts of certain pages.  This could be as simple as special
comments.  This would allow preventing getting matches in things
like the thread contexts and other navigation data as versus actual
data content.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...