[svlug] Re: [Officers] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 2 16:20:28 PDT 2000

Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> Actually, another part would be an auto-nag if certain things WEREN'T in
> place: if the pages hadn't been updated, etc. That might be more useful
> than changing the back end for the web site.

What I've found helpful is to have _all_ date-sensitive information on
a _single_ page (the main page), as prominent as possible.  That's
the next best thing to auto-nag, since it stands out, that way.

The human end of the problem -- which is thornier -- includes (1) getting
the information nailed down as early as possible, (2) getting it
conveyed to the Web maintainer(s) ASAP thereafter, (3) having effective
mechanisms for feedback and correction, and (4) making the whole thing
fault-tolerant (e.g., forgiving of deferred maintenance)..

And, of course, the more people are involved, the greater the chance for
mishap.

For whatever it's worth, I covered some of these matters at
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/newlug.html .  (By that measure,
we do _very_ well -- but we could use some polishing up on points # 8
(most of our entries need revision, and a couple are missing), 10, 11,
12, 14, and 17 (revision date).

I should stress that SVLUG does _much_ better at such things than most
LUGs do.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your