[svlug] Re: [Officers] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 2 14:45:16 PDT 2000

Quoting Howard S Shubs (hshubs at mindspring.com):

> In any volunteer organization, if you have a problem with how
> something is or isn't done, you're welcome to take the job over and
> do it yourself.  :-,

That's actually the trap that many presidents/chairs/whatever-the-
honcho's-title-is fall into, in many groups.  Volunteers slack off,
the president mentions it, and suddenly he's wearing yet another hat.
Repeat until cardiac arrest sets in.

We've done quite well having had Ben and Chris _not_ fall for that.
They must be brighter than they look.  ;->

But, no, it's _not_ appropriate to throw the job at anyone who mentions
it not being done properly.  But neither should it necessarily be
grounds for anger, flamewars, recriminations, and resignations when
someone _does_ mention same.  If true, the claimed shortfall is just
a fact to be acknowledged -- and either addressed or lived with.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your