[svlug] Re: [Officers] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue May 2 14:46:29 PDT 2000

At 02:35 PM 5/2/00 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > How many times has Rick complained in the past about inadequacies? I
> > won't speak for him and cannot, but I bet if you ask him, his answer
> > is "aw, hell, I gave up trying".
>
>Hmm.  I wouldn't express it that way.

OK, fair enough. I stand corrected. (I know you _HAD_ felt that way about
"mailing list moderation" at one point, after a very brutal flame-war and I
remembered you saying something along the lines of "I give up". :)

>I'm aware that there've been some necessary server migrations at
>machines donated and administered for SVLUG's benefit by a friendly
>local Linux company.  That caused some minor dislocations.  I'm aware,
>more than in the past, that getting speaker information nailed down
>a month in advance is no mean feats.  I now have a _lot_ of respect
>for volunteers who arrange speakers.  Sam, for example, did the job for
>not just one but _two_ groups (SVLUG _and_ BALUG), for a long time.

Agreed, and it sounds like, according to Sam's account, the problem on the
web page was entirely the web team's fault. Yes, Sam was late with the
notices, BUT, if the web team had been up to date, that damage would have
been mitigated quite a bit.

>I'm aware that coordination of volunteers, and trying to make sure they
>have the information they need when they need it, is a tough and ongoing
>problem.  Throw more staff at the problem, and you run up against
>Brooks's Law -- but, more often, you have too _few_ volunteers.

If we're not getting voluntees, we should find out WHY people don't
volunteer... there may be good reasons. I mean, I know why _I_ stopped
volunteering, I know (at least parts of) why other people have stopped
volunteering, but if we have an epidemic of "I'm not volunteering", then we
should find out why nobody/few are willing to devote time to our group and
rectify where possible the complaints.

>I think part of the long-term key (on the technical end of things) is to
>design Web pages, and the process that maintains them, so as to be as
>self-correcting, natural, and easy as possible.  E.g., using PHP3.  ;->

Something I believe that will come out of this latest fiasco.:)