[svlug] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue May 2 13:29:01 PDT 2000

At 01:13 PM 5/2/00 -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>In fairness to the officers ... it seems to me that the people who complain
>about short notice and the people who do the work of organizing the meetings
>are two different groups. So no, Derek, "we as a whole" cannot set standards
>for "ourselves" ... because the people wishing to set the standard and the
>people being asked to meet it are not the same people. If some of the first
>group joined the second, perhaps the second group would be able to perform
>to the higher standards desired by the first.

We elect people to positions because they have volunteered to do these
jobs. If they cannot, then they should either (a) say "Hey, we need
volunteers here,here&here", or (b) step down for someone who WILL perform
all the tasks. This is why we have elections, to choose "Which person
volunteering to do the 'big stuff' is most capable of doing 'the big stuff'".

Personally, in the choice above, I vote for (a). I've already been a
volunteer on the web team, got fed up with the political bull-shit involved
in helping work on a damn WEB PAGE, and bailed out.

If we're having problems GETTING volunteers, then that's something else
that needs to be addressed separately, because it (then) obviously affects
our ability, as an organization, to do what needs to get done. I know of
one volunteer who was VERY active in SVLUG who now is so fed up with the
machinations of the group that he doesn't even subscribe to the list anymore.

>Please note that I make this observation as an outsider, being a member of
>neither group.
>
>Also, I received a notice about this meeting several days ago -- today's
>message was, for me, a reminder, not "[f]inding out who the speaker is and
>what the topic of the meeting is, approximately 27 hours prior to the
>meeting".

Hm. My maillog does show that something came in on 4/28 on the announce
list... must have got lost in my filters (when they changed the mailing
list software without telling anyone til afterwards). Still... 4/28 is less
than a week, which is still not really acceptable in the grand scale of things.