[svlug] SVLUG Ineffective Communication - A Rant Everyone Should Read

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Tue May 2 12:44:54 PDT 2000

Can I ask a question, in all fairness?

Can we, as a whole, set a standard for ourselves that "At the May meeting,
we will announce the speaker for the June meeting", and so forth?

Finding out who the speaker is and what the topic of the meeting is,
approximately 27 hours prior to the meeting, is NOT good communication by
any stretch of the imagination.

Every month, we have this same thing happen, people will complain about the
short-notice of the announcement, and yet (still) nothing has been done to
change this. We are still rolling along with the status quo.

On the same note, http://www.svlug.org/meetings.shtml is, once again,
horribly inaccurate.

The header information still shows the "next meeting" as last month.

In the "The Upcoming Meeting" section, our next meeting is scheduled, per
the web site, for March 1, 1999, and will be Steve Giles. That there
already WAS a March 1, 1999 meeting (in the past meetings which was Greg
Herlein) is not really apparently obvious, nor is it obvious that Steve's
meeting was ACTUALLY the non-intuitive "April 2000", and Greg's was "March
2000".

In the "Future Meetings" section, there is a spot for May 3, 2000, but the
actual speaker is not listed. I suspect it won't be listed there (as usual)
until the web team has been shamed into getting the site updated by way of
public flogging.

No offense to all involved here, but we look like we haven't got a friggin
clue what we're doing! Our two main means of communications with the member
base -- our mailing list and our web site -- are both highly ineffective or
are flat-out useless.

Officers : Is there a definitive plan -- with deadlines for all goals --
for getting this corrected? Something that the officers can be held
accountable to come next election, if you please. Every month we hear that
"oh, we're working on getting this or that process changed" but every month
it is the same story.