[svlug] Linux Laptops

Kousik Bera bera_kousik at email.com
Tue May 2 00:12:52 PDT 2000

In fact I'm writing this mail from a Compaq Presario 1685 laptop.
I have installed Mandrake Linux 7.0 in it. The linux(2.2.14) detected
everything (including the ESS Solo 1 snd card and the ATI Rage LT pro
graphics card)out of the box. It could see the DVD filesystem(UDF) as well
and I was able to play some region free DVD thru nist(although the
performance was really poor). Also the good news is that since it uses a
Lucent Soft modem(the whole 1600 series uses it) and a Linux driver is
available for this soft modem(aka winmodem) from www.linmodem.org so
connecting to internet was also a piece of cake.
Check out http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
for further info about other linux compatible laptops.
Kousik