switch to mailman (was: [svlug] Re: [svlug]syslogd question)

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Mon May 1 19:34:34 PDT 2000

On lun, mai 01, 2000 at 07:07:05 -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> It strikes me that changing the method of subscribing is going to be
> somewhat disruptive of the habits people have about mailing lists. I don't
> just mean svlug. Until the last few months, when someone told me about a new
> list, I'd assumed I could join it (if it is a public list) by sending the
> usual message to majordomo at someplace_or_other.com . Mailman's

Yeah. Just like one would only write a document with word :-)

The reason  why we  got rid  of majordomo is  that it  blew chunks,  and the
chunks were so big that they were starting to damage the server room floor
:-)

> [listname]-requests may well be an improvement, but what it obviously is is
> different, and in this context, that feels like not a good thing.

More  seriously,  listname-request  was  there  way  before  majordomo  even
existed, it's a listserv standard.
Many mailing lists don't run on majordomo....

> Do you know if anyone has thought of ... or even done ... a
> "majordomo-compatibility" add-on that processes requests sent the "old" way?

listname-request is the old way, as in listserv was there before majordomo.

> Or even if the internal logic of mailman would permit that? Something like

You can write a perl/shell/python script that would behave as majordomo and
translate the input and feed it mailman.
Apparently no one has found it useful to do that.

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information