switch to mailman (was: [svlug] Re: [svlug]syslogd question)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 1 17:24:56 PDT 2000

Quoting Ray Olszewski (ray at comarre.com):

> Is the Web page now *really* the *only* way to subscribe and
> ubsubscribe?

Nope.

The Mailman maintainers seem to have been so proud of that feature that
they keep omitting the e-mail-only subscribe/unsubscribe information from
the HTML list-information templates.  I personally consider this
omission annoying and a minor bug -- and keep intending to fix the HTML
on my own Mailman installation.  (In fact, I did so on the 486, and no
doubt have to do it again, now that I've migrated my machine to my K6.)

Basically, you send such commands via e-mail to [listname]-request@[domain] .
E.g., in the case of our lists, to:

    svlug-request at lists.svlug.org
or
    svlug-announce-request at lists.svlug.org

Commands can be sent either in the message text or subject header.  If
you need a list of valid commands, send "help" in either location to the
above-cited address.

Valid commands include:

    subscribe [password] [digest-option] [address=<address>]
    unsubscribe <password> [address]

I forget what happens if you accidentally omit your password, but I
vaguely recall that Mailman politely writes you back and asks you for
it.

In any event, every list option is settable _either_ via e-mail or via
the admin/options Web pages.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your