[svlug] Re: [svlug]syslogd question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 1 17:06:50 PDT 2000

Quoting Steve M Bibayoff (smb23 at csufresno.edu):

> Was that "options" link always there? Or was I really dense and just
> missed it at the bottom of the page when I looked for it last week?

Nope.  I _believe_ it's been newly added to all list posts by the GNU
Mailman mailing-list software, starting with the switchover.

Mailman's feature-set includes every subscriber having Web-based access
to all list options (e.g., digest mode vs. normal mode, etc.).  That's
part of what this morning's monthly reminder e-mail we all got (because
it's May 1st) was all about.

Because of Mailman, our two lists (svlug and svlug-announce) also have
(brand-new) Web-accessible archives:

http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug-announce/

The above information isn't yet on
http://www.svlug.org/mdstuff/lists.shtml , but probably should be.
(The latter page also has some obsolete references to Majordomo --
and none to the new admin/options pages at
http://lists.svlug.org/mailman/listinfo .))

I can say from my own experience that Mailman's default HTML archiver,
Pipermail, is somewhat sucky.  To do better requires (I gather) a fair
amount of work to hook in something better (MHonArc?  Hypermail?).
Leaving Pipermail in place is much less work, of course.  (The suckiness
comes in the form of significant CPU/RAM draw on some messages, and
failure to successfully HTML-ise some messages.  The ASCII archiver
reliably works, though.)

Search engines for the Web archive (none provided by default):  J. C.
Lawrence recommends UDMsearch as working well with Mailman, but I have
to admit I haven't personally done that work, either.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your