[svlug] how to ping a dead system

Rafael raffi at linwin.com
Mon May 1 12:19:53 PDT 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000, HvR wrote:

> i want to create a script that pings all my favourite
> machines and when one of them has died it should send
> an email to me.
>
> so i send a ping -c1 xxx.xxx.xxx
> BUT if the system is dead this ping just does not seem
> to terminate. Any tips on what my script should do to
> catch this?

There is a better ping out there. Can't remember where I got it but it
works fine on systems I installed on, RH6.0.

Search for fping-2.2b1.tar.gz or a newer version. It was written for that
same reason you complained about "standard ping" on different Unix
systems.

Good luck,

   O__  ---- Rafael Skodlar
  c/ /'_ --- Linux Imagineer since 1994