[svlug] how to ping a dead system

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 1 11:40:34 PDT 2000

At 11:24 AM 5/1/00 -0700, HvR wrote:
>try $ ping -c 1 10.1.1.1
>
>(or any other non reachable system) and all i get is
>the ping command just sits there and sits there and
>sits there ...). all i can do is terminate it with ^C
>(not really very scriptable).

This EXACT same command on my (Debian potato) test system terminates in
failure after 10 seconds. Same thing on an older Debian Slink system, and a
remote system where I have an account (dunno what it's running). Either you
are not waiting long enough ... waiting 10 seconds does feel like "sits
there and sits there" to me ... or you have an odd version of ping that has
some problem, or something else is odd about your setup. (Or, I suppose,
something is odd about all 3 of the systems I just tried.)

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com