[svlug] how to ping a dead system

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon May 1 11:31:04 PDT 2000

Quick followup to my own posting ... how long did you give the unsuccessful
ping to return?

If I do from the command line

        ping -c1 some.good.ip.address

the (successful) return is practically instantaneous. But if I do

        ping -c1 some.bad.ip.address

the command takes 10 seconds to terminate in a failure report.

Might your script problems just somehow be reflecting this 10-second delay?

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com