[svlug] Linksys gets it! -- Re: LinkSys Rocks!

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Sat Apr 29 11:56:43 PDT 2000

On mar, avr 25, 2000 at 10:55:53 -0700, Marc Merlin wrote:
> On lun, avr 24, 2000 at 11:09:29 -0400, Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:
> > because of a nasty error with it's transmitter (although someone
> > on the EEPro list says that Intel's newly released driver actually
> > works better than Becker's, probably because Intel keeps
> > withholding the docs from Becker).  Don't get me wrong, I as well
>
> Mmmh, that's not necessarly very accurate.
> I'd say  that what they  don't release completely is  "undocumented features
> and behaviors" aka bugs.

Actually I spent the last days trying  several eepro100 drivers as the one I
was using  had problems on  some of the  cards we had  at VA, and  the eepro
driver from intel stopped functioning on my machine after less than 5mn.
Dragan Stancevic  look at the  driver and its output  and found that  it was
sending undocumented/non existing commands to the card and that the reported
output was bad because they had a bug in their debugging code :-)

I ended  up getting an updated  version of Andrey V. Savochkin's  version of
the  driver  at  ftp://ftp.sw.com.sg/pub/Linux/people/saw/kernel/v2.2/,  and
it's been  working ok so far  (at least, it  works on all the  machines I've
tried, which wasn't true of the earlier version I had).
BTW,  one can  ignore  the  "no more  resources"  syslog  output, it's  just
informational and the driver handles it properly.

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information