[svlug]PPP Dial-in setup

Mike Spraggins mike at anetpro.com
Thu Apr 27 07:37:14 PDT 2000

Linux Brethren,

I've never needed to set my server up as a dial-in server with PPP, but
now I do and I'm having some problems.

I'm running Redhat 5.0 (been working fine!) and have an external modem
on COM2.  I can dial into the system, login and get to the shell, but
can't seem to get a PPP connection established.  I have a single
business user that needs to access the internet through my box, nothing
complicated.  They are using Windows 98 dial-up networking.  The problem
is definitely on the server side.
The server is co-located at my ISP's location currently hosting email
and web traffic on the net.

I've gone through the manuals and net resources but I must be missing
something real simple.  Can anyone advise what files, scripts etc. need
to be in place (with examples if possible) to get this working?

Thanks