[svlug]majordomo alternative

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 26 13:08:42 PDT 2000

Quoting Gordon Vrololjak (gvrdolja at nature.Berkeley.EDU):

> Sorry for repeating this, but I missed the alternative software
> someone recommended for linux instead of using majordomo for
> maintaining a mailing list.
>
> Could someone repost some recommendations and I'll try and find the
> one I missed?

I believe you're referring to this list's switchover from majordomo
to GNU Mailman, which changed some headers and thereby temporarily broke
some of our filtering scripts.

Anyhow:

sympa:  GPL, supports LDAP.  Web-based admin.  http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/
        Includes MHonArc (Web archiving) and MarcSearch (search engine).
Albatros: GPL, light on docs.  Web site is bit of a challenge for those
          of us who don't read Turkish:  http://albatros.hun.edu.tr/
Listar:  GPL, doesn't require privileged processes.  C code.  Remote
         admin option via e-mail.  http://www.listar.org/
eSquire: GPL, Web-based admin.  http://www.gamerz.net/esquire/  Hooks
         for MHonArc and Hypermail.
minordomo: GPL, minimalistic.
           http://www.nodomainname.net/software/minordomo
majordomo:  Reliable old standard.  Crufty perl4, but hey, it works.
            No built-in Web archiver or search engine.  Non-free but
            fairly liberal licence.  http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/
            Note that you can optionally add MajorCool
            (http://ncrinfo.ncr.com/pub/contrib/unix/MajorCool/) if you
            like Web-based administration.
GNU Mailman: GPL, written in Python.  Fairly fast.  Web-based admin and
             user-level configuration.  Built-in Web archiver (Pipermail,
             which sucks but can be replaced.)  http://www.list.org/
ezmlm:  Works with the qmail MTA.
petidomo:  http://www.petidomo.com/  Proprietary.
berolist: ftp://aachen.linux.de/pub/BeroList
Smartlist: Built out of procmail scripts!
           http://www.hartzler.net/smartlist/SmartList-FAQ.html
Listserv: http://www.lsoft.com/  Classic proprietary list-manager, in C.

There are no doubt others.

--
Cheers,              "By reading this sentence, you agree to be bound by the
Rick Moen             terms of the Internet Protocol, version 4, or, at your