[svlug] "Windows Refund"

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Fri Jan 22 15:04:44 PST 1999

On 20 Jan 1999 14:59:24 -0800, Lisa Meserve <pooka at intrex.net> wrote:
>	you could change the context of the software from microsoft to
>apple.  when you buy a mac, you cant get it without macOS.  if you say you
>arent going to run macOS, they will say, "what?!".  when my dad bought his
>imac he got a bundle of software that he won't use; but that he had to
>(...)

There is still a big difference: Microsoft doesn't make PCs, nor did they
invent it. They forced most users of PCs to use their OS.

Apple made  the machine, and the  OS that comes with. Just  like you usually
buy an indy  with Irix on it, and  a Sparc with Solaris on it  (yes, I know,
digital is the exception).
It's the  same difference than Ford  only selling cars with  stereos inside,
and Sony  forcing Chevrolet  to sell all  their cars with  a sony  CD player
inside.

Marc
--
"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org