[svlug] Re: WC:>: Telnet Script Thingus

Jordan B. Baker jbb at web.spyderlab.com
Wed Jan 20 11:27:58 PST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Javilk wrote:

>      Does there exist such a script-able telnet-like tool?
>
>      I have tried to write something using sockets in Perl, but... the
> books I have (O'Reilly "Web Client Programming", O'Reilly "Advanced Perl
> Programming", Perl5 Unleashed, etc.) seem to contradict themselves on the
> calling parameters, etc.  Or rely on libraries that are only available on
> Linux.

You might want to try the Expect module under perl which does not require
the expect program as you might expect from its name :) (phew!)

It allows you to wait for responses from the remote end using regexps if
you want, it is fully documented and is available from CPAN.

I've used it successful to automate changes to routers, etc.

Best of luck,

-------
Jordan B. Baker -- jbb at spyderlab.com
weaving the web @ http://www.spyderlab.com