[svlug] 486 as a server

Judi Mouser mouserhouse at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:15:18 PST 1999

Hi,

I know Linux can actually do a lot with an old 486 boxbut, I was
wondering how much. If I have a 486 with only 4 megs of ram, and scsi
disks. Running Redhat 5.2. All this box will do is serve dynamic and
static pages. Mostly dynamic unfortuantely. How much traffic do you
think this box can handle. I am going to run a small hosting company. I
want to put 3 of my company sites on this box while my clients sites
will be sitting on a dual 200 pro. When I say dynamic, I mean Perl/cgi
and soon Cold Fusion with lots of database activity going on. You think
it can maybe handle 10,000 to 20,00 hits a day? I know my developer site
is going to get lots of hits. Thanks again

Matt