[svlug] Backup problems

George Bonser grep at shorelink.com
Fri Jan 15 20:26:46 PST 1999

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a way to back up the system safely without
> causing downtime. This machine is a server and downtime is almost
> unacceptable. How do other server admins back up without shelling out big
> bucks for a RAID array or bringing down the system to single user mode for
> 20 minutes a day?

Some general rules of thumb ...

Do not back up the operating system. The core OS should be re-installable.
For databases, use the database itself to create a backup copy of itself
and back THAT file up using your script.  As for mail spool, let them go.
Don't back them up. Let users know that it is not backed up and if they
are not saving their mail to their home directory or to their PC (for POP
users), they will loose it if the disk crashes.

About the only things I back up are:

/etc

/usr/lib

/usr/src

/usr/share

/usr/local

/var (except /var/spool/mail and /var/spool/news)

/home

Any database backup files generated by the database program itself.

George Bonser

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org