[svlug] encryption

Nate Stahl nrs at mesaana.engr.sgi.com
Wed Jan 13 11:01:31 PST 1999

Well, I mean, technically, 56bit encyption could be cracked by my dad's
286.... it's just a matter of time to figure out the key for a particular
piece of encrypted data, presuming you know enough about it. ;-P  I assume
that wasn't the thrust of the question, however, so moving on:

There is decent piece of GPL'd encryption software - GNU privacy guard.
You can get that from http://www.gnupg.org  (There should be links to
download).  Yes, it is done and distributed outside the US, to avoid
export restrictions.

A good book to read would be "Applied Cryptography" by Bruce Schneier.
You could probably order through your favorite online bookstore.  There's
printed code for a number of algorithms discussed in the book at the back,
and the book does a good job at outlining issues.

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org