[svlug] root-tail distrib?

Dave Zarzycki dave at loki.sbay.org
Mon Jan 11 11:13:18 PST 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Ira Abramov wrote:

> well, my company blocks http. I ssh outside and try to get it
> (http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~mjbaker/root-tail/rt-0.0.4B.tgz) with lynx, both
> with -dump or -dump -raw, but it never comes in readable for gunzip...
> anyone has it on FTP or would be kind enough to attach it to me in MIME
> (not to the entire list!)

ssh port forwarding is your friend. (man ssh, look at -L and -R)
squid is your friend. (http://squid.nlanr.net/)
scp is your friend. (a part of ssh)

For example:

slogin somehost.somedomain.com -l me
cd /tmp
wget http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~mjbaker/root-tail/rt-0.0.4B.tgz
exit
scp me at somehost.somedomain.com:/tmp/rt-0.0.4B.tgz /tmp

davez

PS - I don't advocate the circumvention of firewalls and/or company
policies. If the blocking of web traffic or any other port prevents you
from either being more productive, or simply getting work done, talk to
your employer or firewall provider (in the case that your firewall
provider is not your employer).

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org