[svlug] Major help on x

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 9 13:46:08 PST 1999

Judi Mouser wrote:

> I edited the X86Config. I deleted some of the moniter screen entries. I
> ran the Xconfigurator and everything seemed like it was going right.
> When I type startx it still doesn't boot up. I don't want to have to
> reinstall Redhat cause this machine is already configured to do routing
> for my network. I had somebody else do it for me. I am not sure I will
> be able to reconfigure everything for all the devices and the routing
> tables. Is there Anyway to reinstall everything that has to do with
> X???? Oh, one more thing. If I don't know my moniters refresh rate but
> it's Svga (cause someone gave it to me), Is there a standard or is there
> an autoprobe. Thanks.
>
> Matt

Xconfigurator _should_ be doing this for you.  It apparently isn't.  Its
output is written to the default location (/etc/X11/XF86Config).

 - Are you running as root?  (This helps)
 - Is a new config file being generated?
 - What options are you selecting?  It's usually easiest to chose a
   basic default configuration and improve on it if what you *think*
   should work isn't.

Dump your X server error messages to a log file and post this file to
the list:

 # startx 1> startx.log 2>&1

...we can help you, but only if you help us help you.

You should be able to reinstall the X portion of your installation via
the appropriate RPMs.  I haven't done this.  I think it's probably
overkill.

 # rpm -qa

...will list all rpms on your system.  You can search through these for
the appropriate X configuration ones.  glint (graphical package manager)
can also do this for you, open it and select the X11 applications.  I'd
start with the XFree86 RPM if I were to do this.  I probably wouldn't do
it though, you should be able to get up and running with the proper
XConfigurator settings.

PS:  don't copy me in your mailings -- I'm getting a copy anyhow.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com)

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

web:       http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
SAS/Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

  1:31pm  up 7 days, 14:44, 10 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.45, 0.38

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org