[svlug] Looking for bandwidth

Marc MERLIN marc_merlin at magic.metawire.com
Fri Jan 1 09:47:05 PST 1999

On 31 Dec 1998 12:31:38 -0800, David E. Fox <dfox at belvdere.vip.best.com> wrote:
>> I'm on a 24/7 dialup static IP yada yada with Rahul.Net for $68/month.
>> About a year now, and utterly excellant service.
>
>I'm strongly considering switching to TCI @Home. It is supposed to
>come into my area (Sunnyvale) real soon now, although I don't have
>specific information as to availability yet (sent a message to
>tci Customer Service for this).

I'm sorry to say that, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I've
called them numerous times in the last year and a half about service in
Mountain View (same area, and we also have digital cable), but never got
anything else than sometime soon, but I can't give you any dates :-(

>all the gory details. What I'd like to do is run 24/7 with the cable
>modem (and since I've already upped to digital cable this shouldn't
>be a big issue) and use the phone modem for dialin so that other
>people like my brother can ppp-connect to here and surf. :)

I don't know if you're technically allowed to do that, but I won't be the
one to turn you in :-)

>Anyone on the list using TCI yet? What do you think? In particular,

I've help a friend get setup. What I  can say is that it works rather nicely
when it  works (sometimes it  goes down  for no reason  and it takes  them a
little while to  fix it). Speed is not as  fast as it used to  be, but still
ways faster than  ADSL. I have ADSL, but  I think I'd still trade  it in for
cable modem if I could get it.

Marc
--
"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Finger marc at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org