[svlug] Kernel2.2.6, GNOME CVS, and RH5.9

Chris Waters xtifr at dsp.net
Tue Apr 27 09:42:30 PDT 1999

Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> writes:

> For example, the license does say

> 	As an exception to the above rule, putting this program on CD-ROMs
> 	containing other free software is explicitly permitted even when a
> 	modest distribution fee is charged for the CD, as long as this
> 	software is not a primary selling argument for the CD.

> What's "modest"?  Does it include commercial distributions sold for profit?

The FSF deliberately charges extremely high prices for their CDs and
tapes, just so that anything less can be obviously modest.  :-)

The tricky bit here is really the "primary selling argument" clause.
This tries to control not what you sell, but how you sell it, which
strikes me as an extremely nasty business.  It's a major danger to
resellers -- buy a Linux system, sell it to a customer based on the
fact that it has secure networking, and bang, you've violated the
license, and you owe royalties or something.  Bad, bad, bad.
--
Chris Waters   xtifr at dsp.net | I have a truly elegant proof of the
      or    xtifr at debian.org | above, but it is too long to fit into

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org