[svlug] dhcp problems

Mike Higashi mhigashi at linuxcare.com
Thu Apr 22 10:25:06 PDT 1999

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 06:18:23PM -0700, David Leimbrock wrote:

> I'm a long time lurker first time poster experiencing difficulties in
> getting dhcp to work on my redhat 5.2 toshiba tecra 550cdt.

Welcome to SVLUG.

> I use the network configuration panel to bring up eth0, unfortunately
> the megahertz card doesn't have any led's so I can't tell for sure if
> it's physically working.  I'm trying to get an ip from the local dhcp
> server with no luck ... it's an NT server so I've tried dhcpd -r as
> well.

This is a common error that I see a lot of people make.

dhcpd = dhcp daemon, in other words a dhcp server
dhcpcd = dhcp client daemon, which is what you really want to run

You should not be running dhcpd. Whatever you used to turn it on, you
need to go back into to turn it off, then go back into the net config
tool and pick dhcp for the "Interface configuration protocol" for eth0.

Mike

--
Mike Higashi
mhigashi at linuxcare.com, www.linuxcare.com