[svlug] HTTP location: was Really simple question

Rafael raffi at linwin.com
Sun Apr 11 11:38:19 PDT 1999

The question is simple, the answer is not since the tread is growing.

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:
>
> It is obvions you are only running one webserver on that box ;-)
>
> If you are running apache on 80 and another server on another port (there
> are some REALLY secure, limited function servers out there) to just serve
> out system documentation (say it handles dwww requests). You might not
> only have multiple httpd packages but also multiple document roots. /www
> would solve this easilly as does /etc/apache and /etc/boa /etc/dhttpd
> /etc/wn

Runing regular and "secure" servers on the same machine? Now that's
secure :-)

> Then you could do:
>
> /www/apache
> /www/wn
> /www/boa
> for the different document roots.

That's how Windoze "admins" do it. I thought that we have /usr for such
things somewhere, and of course www in user's home dir for "private"
server/pages.

But why not let everybody go to the top of the tree? That's where the
power is. Make sure that /www is 777 so that all users can write to it.

However I have a better suggestion:

first you need to create a directory C: in root and then other directories
under it.  That way Windoze users feel like at home. More at home than in
/home/user. All you need to tell them is to replace forward with
back-slashes and your's done. And if you create links from root to the
directories in C: they can drop typing C:.

Maybe somebody can write a GPLed script to automaticaly create C:/msoffice
and C:/windows/msoffice and C:/myoffice.

I almost forgot, applications should create their own directories in C:
aswell. That way we'll know what's installed on the system without using
rpm or such. It will make it easier for regular users to reinstall or
remove the applications: rm -rf C:/whatever and it will be realy universal
across ALL platforms.

mkdir "C:/my office"

~ 26> ll C:
total 1
drwxrwxrwx   2 raffi    raffi        1024 Apr 11 10:24 msoffice
drwxrwxrwx   2 raffi    raffi        1024 Apr 11 10:27 my office
drwxrwxrwx   2 raffi    raffi        1024 Apr 11 10:23 windows

Hey it works!

And it's undestructible:

~ 29> mv C:/ /dev/null
mv: cannot move `C:' to `/dev/null': Permission denied

~ 38> rm C:
rm: C:: is a directory

Rafael

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org