[svlug] WWW vs. FHS (was: Really simple question)

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Apr 10 20:16:30 PDT 1999

On 10 Apr 1999, Stephen R. Savitzky wrote:

> Odd; almost all distributions I've seen have both.  My /usr/etc
> currently contains im_palette.pal and imrc, both configuration files for
> the "Imlib" library.

Mine also contains mailcap and mime.types.

I have no /usr/local/etc though.

> The general theory is that /bin, /sbin, /lib, and
> /etc contain the things you _absolutely_ need at boot time, before you
> manage to mount /usr.  /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, and /usr/etc
> contain the programs, libraries, and configuration files that came with
> your distribution.  And /usr/local/* contain the stuff you install
> locally.

Or, more to the point, stuff you install that's not part of the
distribution proper.

> I suspect that the current practice of moving all the configuration files
> to /etc is a RedHat-ism; it _does_ make it possible, in theory, to blow
> away your /usr, rename /etc to /etc.old, and re-install everything.

Are you suggesting that as apache is installed (on my system) as
/usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd that its config files should therefore go
into /usr/local/etc?

> It's also important, in my view, to keep the root partition as small as
> possible.

Agreed.

_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.org   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"At a risk of being called sexist, ageist and French, if you put
multimedia, a leather skirt and lipstick on a grandmother and take her
to a night club, she's still not going to get lucky." -- Jean Louis
Gassee (of Be) on Windows 2000 being "multimedia."

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org