[svlug] WWW vs. FHS (was Re: really simple question)

Nathan Myers ncm at best.com
Fri Apr 9 08:13:17 PDT 1999

I thought I'd wait to see if the obvious solution to the
"whither www files?" question came out.  It hasn't.

Anything in /var should be generable by init scripts.
The FHS seems to imply that www stuff should appear in /var.
Therefore, the httpd init script should maintain links in
/var/www.

Links to where?  To /home/*/public_html, where they exist, and
maybe to /usr/doc/www, and at the sysadmin's option, to other
places appropriate for the system.  In the overwhelming majority
of cases the default would be sufficient.

Every ISP I've used recently provided a ~/public_html directory,
so this is not a secret technique.  I do wonder if it creates
a security problem, though.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip.org

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org