[svlug] Re: swap setup

aaronl@vitelus.com aaronl at vitelus.com
Wed Oct 28 00:09:53 PST 1998

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting aaronl at vitelus.com (aaronl at vitelus.com):
>
> > Dang, I wonder why RedHat will make the machine a name server by default.
>
> >From what I recall of the 5.1 installer for Intel, it asks you at one
> point, late in the installation, which services to enable at startup
> time.  If the PPC version does likewise, then you presumably left
> "named" checked in that list.

Linux/PPC's port of RedHat 5.0 does not do this. I don't mind editing rc
files :)

> > As for lpd and sendmail, can I specify a remote host to be my default SMTP
> > and lpd server?
>
> For sendmail, you may not quite be following what running it as a daemon
> (running all the time as a background process) is all about:  As I
> indicated in my earlier reply, doing the latter makes your machine be
> constantly reachable for _inbound_ SMTP mail delivery.
>
> If your machine isn't going to be receiving mail as a peer from other
> SMTP servers on the Internet, then there's no need to run it in daemon
> mode. in which case you might as well disable this service.

I have a dedicated sendmail server, and since this machine is behind its
firewall there's no reason to keep it running I guess. I thought that
sendmail might be responsible for internal mail transfers (e.g. user to
user, or in a more relevant note, daemons to me). I wish I could get pine
to retrieve my mail from a remote POP or IMAP server so i wouldn't have to
telnet or web in to use mail. Then again, when I get gtk running I'll have
balsa :)

> As to printing, _certainly_ you can print to servers on other hosts.  See
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html

I have not successfully to get lpd to work on my server. It is supposed to
print to a mac print server over netatalk. Right now it can only print
manually using the netatalk client. I have a little script in /usr/bin
that fixes CR/LFs and pipes it to the netatalk client. Presumably if I
could configure lpd to pipe the print job to this shell script than
everything would work...

Thanks,
Aaron Lehmann

echo "unsubscribe svlug" | mail majordomo at svlug.org